|As a project and programme management mentor|
|Geoff Reiss is a world expert on project and programme management offering an independent, confidential and specialist mentoring service.|
Mentoring is... "off-line help by one person to another in making significant transitions in knowledge, work or thinking" Clutterbuck, D & Megginson, D, Mentoring Executives and Directors (1999)
Coaching and mentoring are different: "Andy Murray's coach puts him in the right frame of mind to win. His mentor helps him hit the ball accurately"
Mentors must know their subject well. Coaches know more about psychology.
|A programme management mentor is an expert in the topic who confidentially supports an individual, a programme or project team.|
Many very capable managers find establishing and running programmes and projects to be a critical transition from their normal roles. New procedures demanded by governance directives, unfamiliar tools and techniques, are often faced during the critical programme initiation phase of the programme life cycle. Many organisations under-estimate the size of these challenges.
Programme and project managers, sponsors, change managers, senior responsible owners, project and programme board members face these challenges.
It is at these points that an expert mentor can commonly offer tremendous advantages:
|* Rapid transition to best practice familiarity|
* Highly professional, best practice documentation
* Highly professional decision making
* Best practice input
* Efficient, 100% relevant and confidential
* Knowledge transfer
* Risk reduction
* Increased confidence
* Access to a wealth of business knowledge and experience from someone who’s been there, seen it, and done it
* Sharing experience and getting one to one feedback at critical stages in your business development and programme life cycle
* A valuable source of contacts and networking opportunities
* Overcoming issues and blockages
* Career development